Rio de Janeiro Police plan to investigate Brazilian football star Neymar for publishing intimate images of a woman who accused him of rape, officials have said.
The Cyber Crimes Department said in a statement on Sunday that it would look into the alleged posting of a video by Neymar to his Instagram account in which he revealed to his nearly 120 million followers conversations with the woman, reports Efe news.
Among the materials released were messages Neymar exchanged between March and May with the alleged victim and intimate photos of her. The images, however, were edited to digitally blur her private parts, as well as times and names.
Neymar has confirmed that he has other videos sent by the woman but has not released them. On Sunday, Neymar reached Granja Comary training complex in Teresopolis ahead of the Copa America.
The woman filed a criminal complaint on May 31 at a Sao Paulo police station, alleging that the rape occurred in Paris last month.
The woman, whose identity has not been revealed, said in the complaint that she got in touch with Neymar via social media and they began to exchange messages. She also claimed Neymar invited her to Paris and that one of his associates arranged airplane tickets and a place for her to stay.
The woman said she arrived in Paris on May 15 and stayed at the Hotel Sofitel Paris Arc Du Triomphe, where Neymar came to meet her at around 8 pm in an apparently intoxicated state.
“They began to talk and caress one another, however at a certain point, Neymar became aggressive and, through violence had sexual relations against the victim’s will,” the complaint published by UOL and GloboEsporte said.
The footballer’s father, Neymar da Silva Santos, has claimed during a television program that his son was the victim of an extortion attempt by the woman making the allegations.