The United Nations (UN) has rejected the appeal of Jamaat-ud-Dawa chief Hafiz Saeed to remove his name from its list of banned terrorists, government sources said on Thursday.
The UN decision to reject appeal of Saeed came after India provided detailed evidence including “highly confidential information” about his activities, sources told PTI, adding that the verdict of the global body was conveyed to his lawyer Haider Rasul Mirza earlier this week.
Saeed, chief of UN-designated terrorist organisation Jamaat-ud-Dawa, was banned on December 10, 2008 by the United Nations Security Council after the Mumbai terror attacks in which 166 people were killed.
Saeed had filed an appeal with the UN through Lahore-based law firm Mirza and Mirza in 2017, while he was still under house arrest in Pakistan, for removal of the ban.
Independent Ombudsperson Daniel Kipfer Fasciati, appointed by the UN to examine all such requests, has informed Saeed’s lawyer that it has been decided following examination of his request that that he will “continue as a listed individual”, sources said.
The Ombudsperson recommended that after gathering all information, it has been decided to continue with the ban as “there was sufficient information to provide a reasonable and credible basis for continuing the listing,” sources said, adding the recommendation was endorsed by the UN”s Sanctions Committee.
Saeed’s request was opposed by India as well as other countries that had originally listed him – US, UK and France, sources said.