Kapil Sharma said at an event in Chandigarh that ‘banning or sacking’ Navjot Singh Sidhu from his comedy series The Kapil Sharma Show just because of he has comments on the Pulwama terror attack is ‘not a solution.
#BoycottKapilSharma is the top trend on Twitter today, while a lot of people also stand in support of Kapil Sharma. Controversy has raged around Navjot Singh Sidhu comment that he made after 40 CRPF personnel were killed in Pulwama attack.
Last week, Navjot Singh Sidhu commented on Pulwama attack saying: “For a handful of people, can you blame the entire nation and can you blame an individual” news agency PTI reported. He also added, “It is a cowardly act and I condemn it firmly. Violence is always condemnable and those who did it must be punished.”
On Saturday, Archana Puran Singh was seeen in on The Kapil Sharma Show in place of Mr Sidhu, although it is not clear at the moment if this is a temporary or permanent posting.
DNA and Times Of India report that at an anti-drug event in Chandigarh yesterday, Kapil Sharma said, “These are very petty things, or can also be part of propaganda. I feel banning someone or sacking Navjot Singh Sidhu from the show is not the solution. If removing Sidhuji would have been a permanent solution, then he would have himself walked out of the show. We need to look for a permanent solution.”
Over the weekend, the Federation of Western India Cine Employees (FWICE) also issued a statement to Sony Entertainment Television and said that the cricketer-turned-politician should apologise for his comments. “In social and national interest, on behalf of five lakh workers of the FWICE, we request you to kindly ban him from The Kapil Sharma Show until he submits his unconditional apology to the nation and martyrs, who sacrificed their lives while on duty for the nation,” the statement said, PTI reported.